For the past year and half, Microsoft Internet Explorer, both versions 6 and 7, have had this very annoying issue with controls embedded in <object> tags. Apparently at some point in the past, Microsoft got sued for using someone else's code (shocker!) for Object handling, and whether they lost or settled, the result was the same for end users. Microsoft issued a patch which one day and stuck in this "Click to activate control" nonsense, and as a web designer and power Internet user, I've found few things as annoying.
Before I get a shitload of responses about using Firefox or Opera instead (or Safari if the Mac gaylords respond), let me be clear that I don't use IE as my browser of choice at home. I'm firmly in the Firefox camp. But that said, for the purposes of my job, of which greater than 90% of users of our corporate website use IE, I have to use IE to make sure the site renders correctly and the other web designer here uses Firefox so we cover all of the browser inconsistencies easily during our testing. One of us has to so it's me because he's too dead set against IE whereas I don't care as deeply even tho I find it preferable.
Anyway, this morning I was pretty much on my last straw with regards to this browser issue, not for a work related reason, but rather because of something I've done with greasetruck.org.
Well a little Google work turned up the following blog entry which is heavensent news for an IE user:
Microsift has issued a prerelease fix for IE which can be downloaded now assuming IE has been updated with some currently released security fixes. I've gone through it this morning, making all the necessary updated and then downloading and installing the patch and it works like a champ.